Go Curry Cracker > Expat life

Expat Taxes in Europe

(1/1)

kiyon1977:
New to the Forum but long time follower. I am about 4 years away from FI and my family's plan is to "retire" abroad to western Europe. We have narrowed down our prime destinations to 11 countries. One of the final factors we are considering to help us make our final decision is how much we will have to finance our annual lifestyle after European taxes. We will have $30K a year in a pension, $20K a year in rental income, and $10K a year in Qualified Dividends. I have a very good handle on the US taxable liability on these 3 forms of income but the country information is elusive. Are there any expats in western Europe that have similiar income streams that would be willing to share how much they pay in taxes to the local host country. Thank you in advance.

gocurrycracker:
All of the European countries tax their residents on worldwide income.

One exception is Portugal - See links in this post https://www.gocurrycracker.com/nine-tax-friendly-countries/

I have also discussed with multiple Spanish expats who reside in Spain on non lucrative visas (no work allowed.) None of them pay tax in Spain and the Spanish government seems uninterested

kiyon1977:
Thanks for the reply and the resource. Had no idea that Spain was lenient on collecting taxes. I also found that Andorra has a pretty good tax setup as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version