Go Curry Cracker > Journals

First month of moving to FIRE

(1/4) > >>

Bunniwarrior:
Dear GCC community-  June was our first month on being better at saving.  My fianc?e stopped buying coffee at Starbucks and I made our breakfast, lunches and dinners every day.  We didn?t go out to eat even once which is the longest period of time of being dinning our sober. To our disappointment, we still spend a little under $4K 🙈not including our rent that?s $3750 but luckily paid by his company.  Some things we could have gone without is my mindfulness workshop and classes that costed $500.  Then I paid $122 for taxes on a flight to Dominica Republic for my bachelorette party.  Salsa 💃 classes for both of us where $300.  We also spent about $160 on a round of drinks for a friend?s birthday and her gift. The rest of the cost was groceries, transportation (public), doctor and small things that add up.  We feel a bit discouraged and this month of July we went back to our old routine and ate out all weekend. .  After reading one of your articles again, I?m determined to get back on the horse and concvice my fianc?e.  He said let?s just find a job we like till retirement so we?re happy.  But we have barely tried.  I know I can live on less and be happy. Plus I come from less where he?s come from a much more comfortable life style.  Send us positive vibes and the strength to be disciplined to save for our financial freedom.   :)   Have a gorgeous day!!

gocurrycracker:
Habits die hard. Give yourself credit for the $ you didn't spend on dining out... think of how much more expensive June would have been had you dined out per normal.

Sometimes it helps to use a little lifestyle design to make saving the normal and natural outcome, as opposed to a struggle
https://www.gocurrycracker.com/lifestyle-design/

Bunniwarrior:
Thanks for the positive outlook Jeremy.  We spent about $1k on groceries from the local butcher shop and get boxes of veggies sent to us.  I think we can work on eating less meat which will help us save and is better for us and the environment.  Food and public transit was the highest cost after my classes.  Thank goodness we don?t have to pay for housing or the car at the moment.  Otherwise we wouldnt save anything.  Lol 🙈.  Public transit is expensive in Sydney compared to the US. 

?Some people are naturally frugal. I?m naturally lazy. (Just ask my wife.)?. <= so funny!   You and my fianc? should be best friends.  Haha.  Love him to bits though

Cheers!!

Bunniwarrior:
Hey Jeremy and GCC Community. 

I know you can't give advice and don't really want to, but I"m going to ask for your insight and make my own decision.  My brother said he thinks the market will take a big dip and the best thing to do is to transfer all my stock into cash.  My fiancee thinks the same.  I don't know or understand the stock market.  My account is in a diversified, relatively aggressive Charles Swabb account with Index funds.  What are you doing? 

Thanks,

Bunni

gocurrycracker:
Edited...

Everybody and their brother (and fiancee) believes that they can outperform the market in the short term. 99.9% of them fail to do so.

I make it a point to only take advice from people who are successful doing something at which I also want to be successful. That includes investing.
As an example: would you take medical advice for a serious condition from a bicycle technician you met at Whole Foods? Or your brother?

Or: Is Warren Buffett going 100% to cash at this time? I don't believe so.

There is a Fidelity study where they looked at long term performance of account holders... and the ones that performed the best were dead or forgot they had the account. In other words, they did nothing.

The best thing you can do is be like one of them (the alive ones.) Put your investing on auto pilot and forget about it.

The next best thing you can do is to read something to know and understand the stock market at a basic level, so that you feel comfortable putting your investing on auto pilot and forgetting about it.

This book is a good start:
https://www.gocurrycracker.com/book-review-the-simple-path-to-wealth/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version