Go Curry Cracker > Digital Nomad Life

What should I do with my US investment accounts when I move overseas?

(1/3) > >>

Reading the following URLs got me thinking what GoCurryCracker, and others living the dream abroad, do to address this.  I don't believe GoCurryCracker has addressed this in a blog post, but please direct me if I missed it:

My GF and I plan to travel the world hopping from country to country, staying the length of our tourist visas.  So not becoming an expat in any one country...well maybe if we fall in love with it after we slow down and get older?  Should we worry about our Vanguard brokerage accounts (doesn't look like we need to worry about out tax advantaged accounts according to the URLs)?


Only reference I've seen GCC make to this is in the comments section here:
"Vanguard is known to a wee bit difficult for non residents."


We keep a US mailing address (via Traveling Mailbox) and US physical address (a friend's house.)

We have funds at various brokerage companies and all have our US mailing address and US physical address

Vanguard has a policy of not working win non-US residents. There is really no good reason for it, but is a choice they made. You can either move funds to a different brokerage or not tell them you aren't in the US

Thanks for the information.  I plan to use a service catering to fulltime RVers that give a mailing address and physical address, so hopefully I'm covered there.

Unfortunately in my brokerage account I have Vanguard mutual funds, not ETFs.  I guess they don't care about buying and selling ETFs(?), but I'd have to come up with a way to move VTSAX to VTI while minimizing capital gains, or I guess just pick the mutual funds to sell off first as I retire and need to draw?

You don't need to do anything. Supposedly it is illegal for non-US residents to purchase MFs, but there is nothing that says you can't continue to hold the ones you already own.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version