Author Topic: ACA income verification for an early retiree  (Read 1134 times)

bw1123

• View Profile
ACA income verification for an early retiree
« on: March 17, 2022, 11:26:02 AM »
Hello!

I signed up for ACA subsidies for 2022. I got a letter in the mail asking for proof of capital gains and proof of interest/dividends/etc. At the end of 2021, I harvested some capital gains to cap out a low tax bracket. If I had been getting ACA subsidies at the time, I would have harvested less, but I wasn't. Proving dividends/interest will be very easy. However, I am worried about how to prove my capital gains. I told them what I expected to make, and I fully expect that to be accurate, but proof is difficult since I basically just decide how much to trigger at the end of the year.

Has anyone gone through this? Any tips? I am NOT trying to hide anything, just wondering the best way to go about this to convince the ACA people that I am telling the truth.

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
Re: ACA income verification for an early retiree
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 03:38:00 PM »
You can provide an affidavit of income

"I, bw1123, declare that I expect to make $x in 2022."

You can include a 1099 from 2021 and state that things will be different in 2022 because you don't expect to realize capital gains or expect to realize fewer capital gains.

bw1123

• View Profile
Re: ACA income verification for an early retiree
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 07:37:59 AM »
Ahhh OK. That makes a ton of sense. I will give that a try. Thanks so much for your help on this, and your articles have been invaluable through the years!