Author Topic: Taxcaster  (Read 2396 times)

sisto

• View Profile
Taxcaster
« on: September 09, 2021, 01:42:58 PM »
Is it me or did Intuit change Taxcaster? I can't seem to find how I used to get the simple interface to play around with ROTH conversions and find where I wanted to be. I'm feeling like I'm going to have huge RMD's when the time comes and trying to mitigate that with conversions. I have a really good problem to have with too much money and it happened by accident. I still want to try to preserve it for my family though. Does anyone have a way to get to the old interface? I would also be good if there is a similar tool to use. TIA

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
Re: Taxcaster
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 10:08:28 PM »
Yes, they changed it and now it is terrible

Try this one instead
https://www.gocurrycracker.com/federal-income-tax-calculator/

sisto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »

sisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 10:09:31 AM »
The thing I really liked about Taxcaster was it could account for Social Security income separately to apply the taxes to it correctly. Do you know of an easy way to do that? I get taxed on it so it was nice playing with the ROTH conversion numbers to pay exactly what I want.

sisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »
Also now that you are living in CA, hoping to see a calculator for CA taxes. I also can't wait to see your next filing. I know you eluded to not paying zero by a long shot, but wanting to see how you mitigate your taxes in your current situation.

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 11:22:10 AM »
The thing I really liked about Taxcaster was it could account for Social Security income separately to apply the taxes to it correctly. Do you know of an easy way to do that? I get taxed on it so it was nice playing with the ROTH conversion numbers to pay exactly what I want.

Also now that you are living in CA, hoping to see a calculator for CA taxes. I also can't wait to see your next filing. I know you eluded to not paying zero by a long shot, but wanting to see how you mitigate your taxes in your current situation.

Take a look at this calc: https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator

It isn't perfect but it will do CA taxes and (I believe) Social Security

sisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »

Take a look at this calc: https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator

It isn't perfect but it will do CA taxes and (I believe) Social Security
Thank you so much!

BogleFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »
This may be overkill for your purposes, but others may find this resource helpful:

excel1040.com

A complete set of IRS forms included in an excel workbook for prior years as well as a tentative 2021 workbook. There is a bit of learning curve, but not bad.

BogleFan

sisto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 02:01:36 PM »
This may be overkill for your purposes, but others may find this resource helpful:

excel1040.com

A complete set of IRS forms included in an excel workbook for prior years as well as a tentative 2021 workbook. There is a bit of learning curve, but not bad.

BogleFan
Thanks