Author Topic: Co - Vid 19 Checking in  (Read 494 times)

ann1act

• View Profile
Co - Vid 19 Checking in
« on: March 15, 2020, 06:13:35 PM »
Hope you  and the family are well. I hear Taiwan did everything right and almost everyone is ok.

Just wanted to say I was thinking about y'all. 

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
Re: Co - Vid 19 Checking in
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 03:44:04 AM »
Thank you. I hope you and yours are faring well also.

Back with SARS, Taiwan was hit fairly hard. This time, when China and the WHO were both saying everything was fine ("it's not even contagious amongst humans", Taiwan took aggressive action - schools closing, concerts/sporting events/conventions cancelled, aggressive quarantine measures, massive testing, no flights from hot zones...

At the moment life is basically back to normal. We have our temperature checked when going to restaurants and the kids all wear masks at school, but that is pretty minor.

In the rest of the world it is going to get worse (probably much worse) before it gets better. Be safe.

ann1act

• View Profile
Re: Co - Vid 19 Checking in
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:34:22 AM »
Glad to hear all is well. We are a little in shock over the changes in our life - schools closed, festivals cancelled (New Orleans has at least one festival every week - we know how to enjoy life here), no large gatherings, etc. Louisiana seems to have a larger percentage per capita of Co - Vid 19 cases (perhaps all the festivals?), but we are no stranger to pulling together in times of crisis - Hurricane Katrina, etc. People are organizing to help those who need to stay shut in - so younger people are making grocery/medicine runs, helping in whatever way we see a need.

I am worried about many of my artist friends and tourism/restaurant workers who live paycheck to paycheck. To even miss one paycheck is terrible, but to miss a month or more is going to be incapacitating.

This experience is really exposing to the more complacent among us how dependent we all are on one another and how we truly need to make some changes in how we handle sick pay, etc.

Again, glad you are all okay.