Author Topic: Getting ready to FIRE at 52, Found your stuff interesting  (Read 2024 times)

El Gran_Jamon

• View Profile
Getting ready to FIRE at 52, Found your stuff interesting
« on: November 27, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »
Especially the stock performance vs various recessions.

I've got a pension kicking in for about$46100/ yr starting in Jan 2023 but am leaving work in June 2020. I'm in the edjukashun business but more importantly,  the real estate investing business. Steady chugging over the years- purchasing,  rehab as needed and renting small SOCAL apartment buildings has made me a small fortune, a little over 2.6 million in real estate equity and 800k in cash, stocks and retirement accounts such as 403b. I find real estate fun so will likely do more investing as time goes on.

I have stock brokers wanting to manage my cash stuff in eft's based on risk tolerance. What are your thoughts on this? I'd like the cash safe but still getting some return in case I need it to invest in a property.  Right now the rentals should more than pay my day to day needs; I'd like the cash to grow.

Thanks for the articles.  One of my first stops is Argentina, have friends living there to ride motorcycles with in fall. Bariloche and Patagonia are on the list!

Keep up the writing!
Thank you

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
Re: Getting ready to FIRE at 52, Found your stuff interesting
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 05:00:47 PM »
Muchas gracias Sr Jamon

Stocks go up, stocks go down. If you want $ to pay for the next real estate endeavor, it may not be there for you when you need it.

Having a portion of the portfolio allocated to a series of index funds that you plan to hold forever isn't a terrible idea though.