Author Topic: Thanks for making the forum!  (Read 4554 times)

Jan

• View Profile
Thanks for making the forum!
« on: March 01, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »
I found GCC about a year ago after I plowed through MMM and getting into an ER mindset. It's really hard getting started but I think I'll get there eventually.
I think my biggest hurdle is trying to get a higher income while being the average person. I got my degree in criminal justice (terrible move, I know) and I'm not specialized in anything so I'm kind of stuck in this position where I don't know what to do and right now I'm an entry-level office worker with no room to climb up.

Anyway! You and Winnie are a huge inspiration and I hope to hear more about your travels :)

Jim

• View Profile
    • Jimalism
Re: Thanks for making the forum!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 06:47:01 PM »
I'm glad Jeremy made the forum as well. I was curious about your income potential. Any ideas for side hustles or non traditional income opportunities?

I have a college degree, but haven't got any advanced certifications or degrees, but have increased income through babysitting, night shifts cleaning, Craigslist gigs, etc as I waited for COL increases to come along. Could you do other things like this?

I don't do these much anymore now that I have kids and a family, but it could help boost your savings rate or give a little more cash to invest.
I have a blog as I chronicle my family's journey to FI.

https://jimalism.com

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:46:53 PM »
I've tried babysitting, dog sitting/walker, and general assistant stuff with upwork but no luck. Clients look for people that have past experience and things like cpr certification which I don't have and with upwork you're bidding against other people who are willing to work more for less pay so those haven't worked out for me. I considered getting into Uber but it doesn't seem like you're earning much for the time and work you put in. I've done some survey taking and usertest stuff too but those are a joke, you rarely qualify to do the stuff they want you to do.
Maybe I'm not looking at the right place but it seems like a lot of the side hustles takes too much time for the income they produce and I would rather spend that time on other things.

Jim

• View Profile
    • Jimalism
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »
Yeah some of those side gigs aren't the best long term income potential.  Totally agree about the survey sites and user testing.  Complete joke of your time.  I found some of the craigslist moving jobs or yard work help could be a good deal.  $50-$100 a day on a weekend, etc.  Certainly aren't going to get rich doing it, but a couple of those a month and you could buy an additional share of VTI each month.

I don't know anything about your credit score/credit history, but you could start taking advantage of some of the travel hacking opportunities as well.

Finally, long-term would it be possible to go back to night school to pick up an advanced degree in something more specialized or higher income potential?  I can't tell if you are interested in continuing down the criminal justice path or want to change completely.  If you wanted to change, I would look into learning software programming, learning to code or app developing.  Just a few of my thoughts.
I have a blog as I chronicle my family's journey to FI.

https://jimalism.com

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 12:56:42 AM »
Already on it with travel hacking :) my points just paid off an entire trip to Japan next month for my husband and me.

As for higher education, it would be interesting. I've tried learning coding before but I'm not smart enough for that hahaha. I would like to specialize in something but I'm not sure what I would go for yet so I don't want to waste money getting into that's not going to work out. I am considering getting back into bartending for side hustle though, for private parties and events. I used to that for a little bit in college....

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 02:21:43 AM »
I found GCC about a year ago after I plowed through MMM and getting into an ER mindset. It's really hard getting started but I think I'll get there eventually.
I think my biggest hurdle is trying to get a higher income while being the average person. I got my degree in criminal justice (terrible move, I know) and I'm not specialized in anything so I'm kind of stuck in this position where I don't know what to do and right now I'm an entry-level office worker with no room to climb up.

Anyway! You and Winnie are a huge inspiration and I hope to hear more about your travels :)

Hi Jan, thank you kindly  :)

Side hustles can be a good way to get started, but many of them are still trading hours for dollars. That's good if you can make hundreds per hour, not so good if you can only make minimum wage.

But, $100 can mean a lot at the beginning. That can come in part from side hustles and in part from cutting expenses. Then long term the ideal is to have something that pays you even while you sleep. So you might trade hours for dollars to build up a cash reserve, which you then turn into an income stream (somehow.) The exception is if your side hustle is building a business.

For some ideas of side hustles, take a look at these 2 sites:
https://www.sidehustlenation.com/
http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/ways-to-make-money/ (interesting list of not-so-common ideas)

The ROI on going back to school is more complex, I think, as it can be great if you are planning on a career... less so, if you want financial independence in the short term.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Just remember people have "made it" from all different income levels and via many different approaches. Good luck!

Bunniwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 12:33:18 AM »
Hi Jan,

I think your bartending, serving idea is a good alternative for a side hustle business if you're in the US.  You do not need a license.
 Just self teach and practice.  Places where tipping is generous is where you want to be in the service industry.  When I was in college I had 3 jobs and one of them was a cocktail waitress at a happening club.  When I first started I made about $50 cash an hour with tips.  Minimum wage back then was $3.90 an hour!  After about 8 months I started making about $100 an hour cash because every one knew me and I could spin my tray full of drinks and dance backwards.  LOL. I was 21.  Keep in mind you will have to give up your weekends, Friday and Thursday nights.  I had that job even after college and landing a job in a big CPG company.  I worked full time at the CPG company and did the night job until I paid off all my student loans then quit. Oh, you will also have to deal with drunk, annoying people and some times inaaprioate men that will harass you.  Just keeping it real. Or just work at a fancy restaurant!   Best of luck!