Author Topic: FreeTax USA  (Read 4891 times)

aj76er

• View Profile
FreeTax USA
« on: February 10, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
Has anyone used or is planning on using?

https://www.freetaxusa.com/

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
Re: FreeTax USA
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:59:34 PM »
I've not used it.

I have tried a few options, but usually come back to TurboTax since it imports everything directly from my Fidelity account which saves me a couple hours.

Lake161

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »
I used it last year. I compared vs taxact and TurboTax. FreetaxUSA was the cheapest, and also the most accurate. I?m using it again this year. It doesn?t hold your hand as much as TurboTax, but last year I couldn?t get TurboTax to depreciate my rental property correctly. 

Jim

• View Profile
    • Jimalism
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 07:02:31 PM »
I'm planning on trying to use FreeTax USA this year.  I've used TurboTax in the past, but some of their prompts and hand holding get to be too much.  I'll probably prepare them in parallel this year to make sure I'm not missing something in FreeTax USA and then use FreeTax to file since it will be cheaper.
I have a blog as I chronicle my family's journey to FI.

https://jimalism.com

prognastat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »
Turbotax is what we keep going back to. We have tried other services, but have ended up switching back to Turbotax to complete filing before long as it tends to be better designed and seems to just function better in providing information and importing data. I'm sure I could save money with some of the others, but every time it seems it would take me more time and also not answer questions I may have.

Dankmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 12:07:44 PM »
Credit Karma debuted a free tax filer starting in 2016. I've used it the past two years and been very satisfied. The interface is straightforward like turbotax but I don't think it allows importing that a lot of people like. The shortcoming I found filing 2017 taxes was that it cannot file multiple states. This was my impetus for finally learning to do my state returns by hand. I expect 2018 filing to be easy since I'll only have one state again.

Before 2016 I used OLT (On-Line Taxes) which can be used to file fed and state return for free if you're under $65K AGI. I always had to call to get the fee waive to properly work.