Author Topic: Best data plans for travel  (Read 5258 times)

cogirl

• View Profile
Best data plans for travel
« on: September 18, 2018, 04:18:58 PM »
I'm heading to Europe for 5-6 weeks and am exploring data plan options. I don't want to turn on my US carrier's international plans...the cost is outrageous. I was considering purchasing a local, pre-paid SIM card for use in the EU, but that doesn't cover a few of the countries I am visiting (Bulgaria, Albania, Macedonia). I'm sure I am not the first person to have this problem...has anyone found a good solution? Any providers you can recommend? Thanks!

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
Re: Best data plans for travel
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
We typically buy SIMs locally. Or if we are just in a country for a few days we will go WiFi only.

We'll walk into one of the big phone stores, tell them we are visiting for x days and want to roam elsewhere in Europe, and they give us a SIM. Usually this requires showing your passport.

A lot of people use T-mobile for cheap international roaming

Google Fi is also popular ($10/GB I think)

prognastat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:44:04 AM »
I just buy a pre-paid SIM locally and use those, but I usually only go to one country.

I also tend to use WiFi as much as possible and cellular as little as possible. How long are you planning on being in the countries that aren't covered? If it's a long time it might be worthwhile to get a pre-paid SIM locally, if not can you get by without?

cogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »
I typically go the wifi route, but I'm concerned about wifi access in some of these places. I'm only spending a few days in most of the Eastern European countries, so doesn't seem worth the hassle of procuring a local SIM in each one. I think it's time to give T Mobile a call...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

ElTrueno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 05:54:38 PM »
I can also add my very positive experience with GoogleFi. I have a U.S. phone number and wherever I go it automatically updates .....so far this year I have had seamless voice and internet access in US, China, Taiwan, HKG, New Zealand, and Australia. I get off the airplane or train and just by turning on the phone the new network is located. Also, I can receive and make calls to and from the states as if I was in the states ....this program has been the answer I have been waiting for after traveling internationally for years.

prognastat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 09:04:26 AM »
That's definitely the dream as far as not having to switch service every time you travel to a new country.