Author Topic: Credit card tracker  (Read 3840 times)

Patrick

• View Profile
Credit card tracker
« on: January 16, 2022, 08:19:04 PM »
Hi GCC! Been following you guys for a while, thank you for the insightful posts etc. 5 more years in the military and I will be home free (similiar to Doug Nordman...just wish we started investing in index funds earlier (started 2018) and I wouldn't even need the pension)! Anyways, do you have an excel spreadsheet that you use to keep track of your credit cards/points/etc? Been looking around and saw a post by Brandon Chase but no template. Also checked Spencer's site (Military Money Manual) but no luck. Thanks for your help! -Patrick
-Patrick

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
Re: Credit card tracker
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 08:57:54 PM »
I don't have a template... I just put credit card name, date of application / approval, date to meet minimum spend for each card in a simple xls

I'll ask Brandon if he has something shareworthy

BrandonC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 07:06:04 AM »
Hey Patrick,

I don't use a special template either. I've tried them over the years but the ones other bloggers put out seem to have too much stuff shoehorned in and I spend forever just trying to figure out the functions and eventually give up. I really think the template you build for yourself will be the most useful since it has exactly what you want to know.

Like Jeremy, I use a simple spreadsheet (Google Sheet) with columns for the Card, Issuer, Signup Date, Annual Fee, Minimum Spend Amount, Minimum Spend Due By, and Rewards (to remind me of bonus categories, etc.). In over 10 years of signing up for cards, this is all the info I have ever needed.

Within that workbook I have a couple of other spreadsheets to keep track of my wife's cards, various travel credits offered by cards, and one to keep track of good redemptions (always fun to look back at).

Good luck in your last 5 years! I know what it's like to grind it out with the government :)

Brandon

Patrick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 07:34:58 PM »
Thank you Jason and Brandon for your responses! About to hit 15 years in the Marine Corps...I do have a choice to get out in late 2023 but still contemplating it (couldn't get any pension). I have two kids (10-son, 8-daughter) and we home school full time (currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan) so being stuck to one area isn't the issue if I get out. My plan is to travel the world (much like yourself Jason) and explore all the mountains, landscape and cultures I can with the kiddos (hope to someday be able to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro like you Brandon!)/travel with my cousin and his family (they are full time YouTubers/Video creators--The Axel Show/The Adventure Agents) and create adventures/memories before the kiddos grow up and its just me and the wife again. Plan to have a 'hub' in the PNW area for our few belongings. Were minimalists by nature thus living without has always been easy. I think a lot of the travel restrictions/bans in many countries are manageable/lifting (just have to keep in line with their restriction of movement rules/quarantine rules etc).

Jason/Brandon, what are your thoughts on traveling (after/during the pandemic)?

Currently have about 600k in my brokerage account (Vanguard), another 145k in the TSP (projected to grow to about 850k (assuming a low balled interest rate of 8%) when I turn 59 1/2 (2047) when I can safely withdraw money without penalties), and another 100k in Roth IRAs. If I get out in late 2023 then the above #s is what I would have. If I stick it out to retirement, then all #s change above (roughly adding another 600k by investing etc), plus another 55k (that potentially rise every year because of pay increases) a year via the pension (about 2 mil (present value) in total pension assuming I live until 85...5 mil in projected future value).

After reading Jason's article about the 'cost' of working one more year (in my case it would be 3.7 years until retirement in 2027 because I am technically locked in a contract until August 2023) I am changing my perspective and wondering if retirement is even worth it. Any thoughts from either of you Gentlemen? Thanks again for your insights!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 08:03:33 PM by usmcsimmons »
-Patrick

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 09:49:33 PM »
I'd work until I got the pension

Patrick

• View Profile