Author Topic: Internet Security for Expats/Slow travelers  (Read 4273 times)

Skip

• View Profile
Internet Security for Expats/Slow travelers
« on: June 26, 2019, 03:09:12 PM »
I'm just starting the process on educating myself regarding VPN's as we prepare to start our travels. I see that Jeremy recommends ProtonVPN. I also see a recommendation for Express VPN. NordVPN seems like a popular one as well and they are running a $2.99/month deal if you sign up for three years. I'd like to see some more detailed recommendations for VPN's

I am also considering password management. I've always kept my passwords on paper and locked away in the safe. Obviously, that isn't going to work for nomads. Anyone have recommendations for password protection or other ideas to keep passwords safe?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

prognastat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Security for Expats/Slow travelers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
I don't really have any advice for VPNs as I don't really use one due to my minimal travel.

As for passwords I tend to use a consistent part with a slight variation for each website/app etc so I only have to remember the constant for everything and just the variation for every specific website/service. Some people also use password managers. Some of those come built in with your OS or browser such as iOS/macOS have keychain and the Chrome browser I know has a password manager built in. There's also some independent password managers apps/programs such as Keeper Password Manager or 1Password.

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 07:15:33 PM »
I'm using the free version of Proton VPN going on a year now. It works well. I stream everything through it if I'm not on my own home wifi.

For passwords, I use the free version of LastPass. I don't know any of my passwords.

lifehackerguy

• View Profile
    • Lifehackerguy
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 06:26:20 AM »
I have been a fan of vyprvpn for few years now since living abroad. works well with mobile too.
Entrepreneur. Investor. Expat. Father and Wannabe EDM Musician.