Author Topic: Which Books Or Courses To Begin?  (Read 4325 times)

Dsurf

• View Profile
Which Books Or Courses To Begin?
« on: November 05, 2018, 05:47:11 AM »
I?m just starting this journey. I intended to do so 5 years ago but I got sick. So you have to start where you are right.

I?ve got $60k in a 401k and $10k in a Roth. I have a small business doing SEO that I may turn into a side hustle and get a job or build out the company more.

My retirement accounts are not invested well. So I need to have the proper allocations.

However, my post is really about gaining control of ?how to make proper FIRE? decisions. I read Curry?s  post on moving to California. The way he was able to crunch the #s is something I find very valuable.

Does anyone know of a book or course that teaches these skills? I realize I could scour blogs etc but I prefer to read a book or course first.

3mitch

• View Profile
Re: Which Books Or Courses To Begin?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 12:36:24 AM »
I'm very new to this forum, but not to GCC or the FIRE concepts. Based on your stated background, I'd recommend starting out reading the posts on JL Collin's Stock Series or picking up his book "The Simple Path To Wealth" first. I have a feeling GCC would agree with advice to get your investing in line and as simple as possible. https://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

The more interesting and complicated scenarios, tax advantaged tricks for RE, and thought experiments that GCC performs (like in the recent Cali post) are best found right here on his blog. Just read along (read prior posts as well) and try to absorb all you can. Eventually it will all begin to click, and hopefully your "nest egg" will be growing all the while you are learning.

bennysquirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 02:59:17 PM »
First post here!

There's so much stuff out there, just start absorbing over time, take notes of key concepts and it will come.

I double down on 3mitch's recommendations for JL Collins, his book changed my entire POV on life.

I also recommend The Mad Fientist.  His stuff is extremely well researched and thought out.

El Gran_Jamon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 09:14:32 AM »
I'll go out on a limb here, risk the flaming. I'm ready to go now, scheduled to retire, leave walk away, whichever in June. I've made a comfortable couple, few million. Took time. Mistakes. Successes exceeding failures..

Before I could do any of that I had to see life, money differently. For me "Rich Dad,  Poor Dad" was an eye opener, paradigm shift. Vital you do that and commit to change. Next was Milt Tanzner's "Real Estate Investments and how to Make Them" for great intro to math, business. I made it in rental properties,  small but high end 2 to 4 places in SOCAL.  Get the head in the right place,  the rest will follow.  Also best to be an individual of commitment and higher energy than average with a hobby that you're committed to.

Good luck,

Jamon Grande