Author Topic: Travel Hacking From Abroad  (Read 7267 times)

Slowtraveler

• View Profile
Travel Hacking From Abroad
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:07:14 AM »
Some time ago, credit cards couldn't be directly sent to an address outside of the USA by the card company.

This means that travel hacking from abroad is a pain. I have to have a card sent to my address abroad after having it sent to my address in the states to use the physical card.

I also have to ensure it is a no foreign transaction fee card.

It seems using cards to prepay expenses for travel hacking and having a no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee card on me for daily use is the way to go. That way, I can just use the card number to pay off taxes and not have to have the card shipped out to me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:44:26 PM by Slowtraveler »

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
    • Retire Early. Travel the World.
Re: Travel Hacking From Abroad
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 06:49:18 AM »
Traveling Mailbox scans incoming cards (front only) which gives you number and expiration date. If I need the 3 digit code on the back I'll forward them to my brother. This works for anything online, including taxes.

You can add cards to Apple Pay for general use, and forward them to your current location if you need the actual card.

Slowtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:45:53 AM »
Good suggestions.

I actually tried to do this recently for the Cap One Venture but the application said I could not use a commercial mailing address for my application.

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 07:10:04 PM »
I think all companies now require a physical address, but the mailing address can be TM

msfrugalista

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:08:48 AM »
Traveling Mailbox scans incoming cards (front only) which gives you number and expiration date. If I need the 3 digit code on the back I'll forward them to my brother. This works for anything online, including taxes.

Actually you can send them a request (via online chat) to have the back of your card scanned. I did this recently as I had a large-ish purchase coming up and wanted to use it on a new card that was sent to my TravelingMailbox, however it would not have come to my physical address in time to make the transaction. Not sure if this was a one time courtesy, but they turned around this request in less than 12 hours! Great company to deal with.

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:01:56 PM »

Actually you can send them a request (via online chat) to have the back of your card scanned. I did this recently as I had a large-ish purchase coming up and wanted to use it on a new card that was sent to my TravelingMailbox, however it would not have come to my physical address in time to make the transaction. Not sure if this was a one time courtesy, but they turned around this request in less than 12 hours! Great company to deal with.

Sweet! For some reason I recall being denied a similar request, but my memory is fuzzy. I'll ask again next time, thank you

Slowtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 01:58:57 AM »
Deep down, I'm thinking to give up on card hacking as it seems to alter my behavior. I still haven't found a use for Hilton or IHG points, I stay in month long rentals which are vastly cheaper. Even Chase Reserve has flights that are limited relative to using cash.

Alliant has a kick ass 2.5% cash back card with no foreign transaction fees but when I used my mailbox address, they asked for a utility bill with my name on it. Am I doomed to failure in my hacking endeavors?

I could use my family address in California but I don't want California having any reason to hunt me down for taxes. Maybe I'm overly cautious but it would more than negate my potential hacking benefits. Still, 2.5% cashback would be very nice if I can convince Alliant to send me the card.

gocurrycracker

• Administrator
  • I live here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »
2.5% is pretty good, but you can do substantially better.

One example is our flights last year to Europe, where we got 10c/pt and 20c/pt valuations. With 3 points/$ spend that is a 30-60% return
https://www.gocurrycracker.com/to-europe-and-back-again/

We prefer the monthly rentals as well, but it doesn't always work out. I used the free IHG night in SF this year before we got on a cruise, which saved us $350 w/ free breakfast, afair

I typically pick a destination and work backwards. That way I don't have points I can't use, e.g. your example of hilton/ihg

But if you decide a 2.5% card is what you like best, then go for it. No one right way to do things.